Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How do you do...

In our industry...the BIG IT industry, Only thing that we gain are some extra pounds (specially near our stomach) n black eyes (without creating any fuss) and if you are lucky enough an increment in a year. But there is one vicious incremental cycle that we all go through everyday.  When the shift begins this is how we are at out seats ‘L’ and by lunch ‘\_’… it’s only the angle that gets an increment. Completing 9.5 hrs in office…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………. phew, seems like an eternity. This according to me is the major cause of the cracking backs and the creaking chairs. But there is one lovely thing that keeps popping up and that’s a ‘short nap’ :D
       
It is my everyday routine to take some of these lovely things during the day….well definitely if you don’t have any work and you have spent an era in ‘The Free Pool’ and what you did back then was wake up all night and sleep all day :D…sssshhh it’s a secret ;) you will love its visit at least once in a day.
    
Just like drawing a rangoli, a painting on water, sand art and driving in places like Bangalore and Bareilly (of the places I’ve visited), sleeping at work is also an art which is practiced in many ways... although it doesn’t include the one Tom practiced in that funny episode of Tom n Jerry (rofl I can recall how he puts toothpicks to open his eye lids and still they break), what I’m talking about is how we do it ;)
        
There are numerous ways…pardon me If I miss any….well here it goes…
   
The Traditional side stand: This is the oldest and the most practiced way of the splendid art (I wonder why its not in VelociQ :P) One hand on the mouse and the other on the desk with your chin resting on your palm, your face gazing at the screen as if a guy looking at his dream girl, but here with your eyes closed. I always wake up when my finger becomes too heavy for the mouse n the right click is pressed.
   
Eyes Wide Open: Well this is a hard one.. you need a lot of practice for it, but once mastered no one can interrupt you in your Disneyland. I am practicing this one and do enjoy being a Jack of it ;)
   
Just Gaze: I will give it the 2nd prize in the most used methods. It’s very simple and every one can try. Just place both your hands on your cheeks and gaze at your screen as if you are working on a serious thesis on some topic in quantum mechanics.
   
I am Reading: God has given us two hands… and we do make the best out of it….. open any pdf or any project related FS document :P scroll down about 20 pages at least n scroll it such that it depicts you are reading somewhere in the middle of the page n tadaa…. that’s all the hard work..now place you hand on your forehead covering your eyes…Mission Accomplished..!!
   
Use your spects: Although this is only for the people who wear one, but can be quite handy specially when you are in a session. I used to sleep for hours in my TRP theory sessions even while sitting in the second row all thanks to these spects :D
   
I Wasn’t sleeping: Sleep like a pig mates….no offence but I mean it… sleep all you want until (in case) someone comes and wakes you up… Ill share an incident that happened with me.. but I’ll try to keep it short…
Back when I was in BPO I was assigned to a process but the training would start only after two days and there wasn’t any room allocated so we had to spend all day in the bay…. so one day I was sleeping like a pig :P n one of the senior HR passed by…. She poked me..I didn’t wake…she shook me lightly…I didn’t wake…she literally shook me n my chair with full force…I did not wake up… n then she turned back to my friend and the moment she spoke ‘Why is this guy sleeping here’ I woke up and realized that it was me the cause of discussion…n she realized that I had waken up from my slumber…..
HR lady to me: ‘U were sleeping’
Me (with overwhelming confidence): ‘I wasn’t sleeping’
HR (shocked): I literally shook you and you wouldn’t reply. If you are not well consult a doctor or go to the dormitory.
Me: Deep silence

Saying this she continued to where she was headed.
       
Don’t hesitate to practice the legen…….dary  ;) methods but be cautious…don’t snore or you’ll get caught ;) :P
    
So pals…..How do you DO….??

2 comments: